November 20, 2019
On behalf of Nazareth Regional High School, we eagerly announce the start of our search for a new Principal. The search for a new Academic school leader is treated with the utmost significance and the Board of Trustees has formed a diverse search committee to assist in finding a mission focused leader who will build upon the current accomplishments of Nazareth Regional High School.
Search Committee Members
Search Committee Chair
Dr. Patrick Slattery, XBSS
Board of Trustees
Ms. Keisha Alleyne
Mr. John Barrett
Mrs. Sharon Brown-Veillard
Mr. John Wuestman
Mrs. Providencia Quiles
Ms. Nancy Roberts
Mr. Pratt (Alternate)
Ms. Robin White
Mr. Ronald Kelley
Ms. Bridgette Sanfilippo (Alternate)
Ms. Tiffany Davis (Alternate)
The successful candidate will be a dynamic, executive leader who can embrace the culture of the school and effectively and diplomatically communicate with the varied constituent group. The ideal candidate will understand the school’s long history and traditions and will work in a collaborative environment for the benefit of all the students and teachers.
In order to garner a strong number of competent applicants, we need your help! Attached is a formal position profile that we strongly encourage everyone in the Nazareth community to spread far and wide. Please share it with anyone you think may have an interest and be a good fit as Nazareth Regional High School’s next Principal. If you prefer a member of the search committee to reach out to someone specific, please inform Dr. Patrick Slattery, Executive Director of the Xaverian Brother’s Sponsored Schools, and he will personally contact any prospective candidate to assess his/her interest in applying (PJSlattery@xbss.org).
The projected timeline for the search can be found in the attached profile. It is the collective hope that the Board of Trustees finish the search by late winter, with the new Principal beginning work on July 1, 2020.
Updates regarding the status of the search will be provided once there is new information to share. If you have any questions in the interim, please direct them to either Dr. Slattery or Mrs. Quiles. Please keep Nazareth in your prayers for a successful search.
About Nazareth Regional High School
In Brooklyn, NY for 57 years, Nazareth is a Catholic college preparatory high school sponsored by the Xaverian Brothers. Nazareth maintains a rigorous academic environment where students develop a life-long intellectual curiosity which empowers them to think independently in an ever-changing global community. Nazareth prides itself in maintaining a 98-100% graduation rate annually, and 98% of its students attend college.
As a Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School, Nazareth is part of a proud and distinguished legacy of educational excellence. Faithful to the traditions of the Xaverian Brothers, the community takes particular pride in the enduring personal relationships which are at the heart of defining the school’s culture. The faculty and staff are committed to supporting every student that graces the school’s hallways, academically, spiritually, emotionally, athletically and socially. Nazareth is a second home for students, so much so that many students remain in the building well into the evening for continued academic support, spiritual enrichment, continued comradery, athletic activities and extra-curricular involvement.
Enrollment is up over 30% in the past five years, the school participates in a 1 to 1 initiative where every student receives a laptop, and a new 3-D Virtual Lab and a new science lab have been created in recent years. The curriculum has become even more rigorous. Nazareth students have the opportunity to earn over 50 college credits while still in high school.
Nazareth is a forward-looking, progressive institution that enhances students’ success. To that end, beginning in the 2020-2021 academic year, Nazareth will embrace the President/Principal model of operation. Long time Nazareth Principal, Providencia Quiles, will become President focusing on the external operations of the school, affording the opportunity for a new academic leader to collaboratively work to enhance the daily operations of the school.
Nazareth Regional High School is and will continue to be “Where Bright Futures Begin!”
Reporting to the President, the principal will provide dynamic, executive leadership in directing the daily operations of the school. Paramount to the role will be one’s ability to quickly understand, embrace, and strengthen the cherished culture of Nazareth Regional High School. The Principal is the chief academic officer of the school and is responsible for leading the instructional, spiritual, social, athletic and extra-curricular programs of the school.
The Principal leads and articulates the formation of the school’s rich culture, unique mission and clear academic goals in a program of continuous improvement. The Principal coordinates, plans, oversees and executes the school’s education programs, policies and school accreditation processes. The Principal leads the administrative leadership team and the athletic department. Specific duties include:
- Oversee curriculum development, scheduling of courses, placement of students and continuous evaluative appraisal of student ability and achievement.
- Through hiring practices, supportive professional development, and transparent evaluation procedures, ensure a talented, mission-oriented faculty is in place to support student needs.
- Develops, maintains and enforces policies as described in the faculty handbook.
- Assures that programs uphold Xaverian, Catholic traditions and values.
- Communicates, demonstrates and upholds the mission of the school effectively.
- Communicates effectively with faculty/staff about the academic state and future of the school while also communicating with parents, addressing student successes and concerns.
- Directs and collaborates with non-teaching staff to ensure the non-academic needs of students are met, including emotional/social, extracurricular interests, and college and career readiness.
- Oversees athletics and extra-curricular activities which enhances student life.
- Oversees admissions, sets policies and procedures for admissions and the acceptance of candidates.
- Maintains and enforces policies for suspension, retention, promotion, graduation, and dismissal of students. Maintains student handbook.
Attributes of the next Principal
The new principal will be a practicing Catholic, in good standing with the Church, and faithful to the traditions of a Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School. She/He must be ethically above reproach and willing to be regularly visible and committed to the school community.
The next Principal must be a dynamic leader that genuinely cares for the students and empowers the faculty and staff. She/He must hold students accountable to high standards in a firm, disciplined manner yet not at the expense of empathy, kindness, and trust. The ideal candidate must possess the following:
- Five years of teaching and leadership experience.
- Master’s Degree, preferably in educational administration or curriculum and instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire, lead, supervise, evaluate, and work collegially with faculty and staff by fostering a culture of collaboration, professional development, and teamwork.
- Experience in developing and implementing curriculum preferred.
- Demonstrated success as an instructional leader who creates a culture of continuous improvement through ongoing constructive feedback to teachers and counselors.
- Ability to analyze and utilize data to increase student achievement.
- Ability to set and attain goals and articulate a vision for a high-performing high school.
- Sensitivity to and appreciation for diversity and inclusivity.
- Exceptional organizational, written, and verbal communication skills, including proficiency with social media and educational technology.
- An advanced understanding of enrollment and marketing strategies for urban Catholic high schools, particularly for Nazareth’s demographic.
Leadership Opportunity Summary & Application Process
The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker, an individual committed to Catholic education who also respects the religious diversity present among Nazareth stakeholders. She/He will be a proven, effective communicator who firmly understands the diplomacy required to work with a varied constituent group. The successful candidate must appreciate the tradition and culture of the Nazareth community while advancing the mission and vision of the institution in all of her/his actions and decisions.
This is a full-time 12-month position. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
All applications will remain confidential until semi-finalists are selected for interviews with the Search Committee. Although most of the following timeframe is approximate, please note that:
- Review of applications begins immediately and will conclude on December 31, 2019.
- Semifinalists will be notified by January 5, 2020.
- Semifinalist interviews will be conducted with the search committee in January 6-17, 2020.
- Finalist interviews, on campus, will be conducted in January 21-31, 2020.
- Selection of a new Principal to occur February 5, 2020.
- Start date of July 1, 2020.
Interested candidates are to submit, electronically, the following materials:
- Cover letter and resume
- Educational philosophy
- List of references – References will only be contacted once an applicant has reached semifinalist standing (to preserve confidentially on the applicant’s part).
Materials are to be addressed to the “Nazareth Principal Search Committee” but sent electronically as one file to:
XBSS Search Committee Representative